Originally known as “Bare Cove”, in 1635, Hingham was incorporated and was given its name. The founders of the city were religious people, namely: Rev. Peter Hobart and Rev. Robert Peck, who were banished from Norfolk, East Anglia. Hingham, MA covers a total land area of 26.3 miles.
Hingham has its own public and private schools. The public schools include Hingham High School, South Shore Educational Collaborative, Hingham Middle School, and 4 elementary schools. There are 5 private schools found in the city, including Derby Academy, Notre Dame Academy, St. Paul School, Old Colony Montessori School, and Su Escuela Language Academy.